Thursday, February 23, 2012

On the Bandwagon - with a recipe

We jumped on the bandwagon my friends.  The wheat-free bandwagon that is.  Alex has been dealing with a lot of pain with digestion lately so we figured a good over-haul of our eating was in order.  So,  we have cut out all of our breads and pastas.  Any grains we do consume I try to soak them first,  but this is proving difficult to remember.  We have been eating tons and I mean tons of fruit and vegetables.  It really is wonderful.  We also eat lots of meat,  which is a nice bonus for Alex as he was kind of tired of my meat - stretching ways.  It's also nice that we just filled our freezer with half of a grass-fed cow.  We are also trying to keep up in the probiotic department,  eating yogurt and kefir regularly.
The results have been pretty much amazing.  Alex doesn't have his bouts of gut pain anymore,  I feel energetic even though Bennett keeps me up all night. and, I think Indiana's eczema is getting better.  I still find it a little hard not to eat pasta, but I've been replacing it with potatoes.  This is what we ate tonight.  It was pretty good.

Mushrooms, Meat and Potatoes in my Crock Pot 

1 big chunk of round steak
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
3 or 4 potatoes sliced.

Throw all of this in your crock pot.

Jalapeño ketchup.

2 jalapeños, seeded and diced
2 tbsp minced onions
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cumin
3 tbsp ketchup.
in a small saucepan boil jalapeños, onions and water until the jalapeños are very tender and mushy.
chop them up in a food processor and add cumin and ketchup.

Drizzle the ketchup over the meat and potatoes.  Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.
Just so you know,  this is not spicy,  the jalapeño ketchup just gives it a very nice flavour.
Serve with homemade sour cream or homemade ranch dressing.





No comments:

Post a Comment