Friday, February 10, 2012

Coconuts!

Remember this post where I talked about making my own coconut milk?  Well, I was using shredded coconut that I bought in a teeny tiny package for alot of money in the organic section of my local grocery.  I am proud to say,  I am now much older and wiser my friends,  I am ready to take it to the next level.  Here we go,  lets make coconut milk from and actual coconut.  What the What!?!?!?!?


Here are two of my cuties holding a real coconut.  See the three black spots?  Those are the eyes,  they are the weak spots in the shell.


Drill a hole in each of the eyes. (holding the coconut with your feet is optional,  but you'll feel a bit more like a monkey)



Next, drain out the coconut water into a glass.  For future reference,  coconut water is like nature's Gatorade so if you ever find yourself on Survivor and you haven't been able to find your water source and you fear your end will come while on reality television,  have no fear,  just find a coconut and you'll be right as rain.


Wrap the coconut in a towel, grab a hammer and hit away.



We found that if we broke the coconut into smallish pieces it was pretty easy to separate the meat from the shell with just a butter knife.  The meat will have a brown papery substance on it,  that's okay,  you can eat that.  You can throw your chunks of coconut into a food processor and grate them up and then make your coconut milk like you normally would.


This post was shared at Simple Lives Thursday at gnowfglins.com

3 comments:

  1. I just tried this for the first time last week! I did not use a screw driver, I was actually able to just poke through the eye with a skewer. It was much easier then I imagined it would be. I did not wrap though, and it was kind of messy (all the little hairs were everywhere). Still, I made a coconut curry and some milk and both were delicious. I bought two more this week. Who knew it would be sooo easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does heating the coconut in the oven ruin the goodness of the coconut? We did that once and the coconut split open so easily and the meat came off easy too. Wondering if you know if the easy way out actually changes the health benefits? Oh, and who won your giveaway?

    ReplyDelete