Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lotion Recipe

As part of my bathroom cupboard revolution,  I've started to make my own lotions.  We have really dry skin around here.  Indiana has always had terrible eczema and for some reason in my old age I've developed it too.  It makes me so sad to have to rub lotion on Indiana's legs and have him scream because it stings so much.  If you make your own,  with regular ingredients,  it won't sting..... it probably won't cause cancer either,  just saying.

This is what you need.

a pretty little glass jar
1 part beeswax
1 part coconut oil
2 parts olive oil
Vitamin E oil (optional)
essential oils (optional)

Sadly,  I don't have a nice little kitchen scale,  if I did,  this would be easier.
I just guess the amounts and put everything (except the vit.E and essential oils) in my jar.  I then put that jar in a pot of boiling water.

                          

Let it heat up until melted.  Stir from time to time.

Next,  you can test the consistency by taking a spoonful of the liquid and put it on a plate or something and put in the refrigerator.




After 2 minutes you can check and make sure it's a nice lotiony consistency.  If it's too soft, add more beeswax to the jar,  if too hard, add more olive oil.  At this point you can add a capsule or two of vitamin E
oil and essential oils if you want.  The Vitamin E oil adds some healing benefits and is also a preservative.


Next take your jar and give it another stir for good measure and put it in the refrigerator with the spoon in it.



Let it cool for about an hour in the refrigerator stirring every 15 minutes.



And that's all.

A quick word to the wise...
Beeswax is a pain to clean up.  So,  it is NOT a good idea to make a large batch of lotion in a bigger dish and then transfer to small jars.  Not a good idea at all.


This post was shared at Things I Love Thursdays and Simple Lives Thursday

3 comments:

  1. I got this lotion from Gab for Christmas. And I love it. I am a nurse, and I find I use a lot of different types of lotions on my super dry hands. But this one never burns, and it works as well as petroleum jelly or emoilient cream. And I feel good about what I am putting on my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I was resisting making lotion because I didn't want to deal with the clean up, and this takes away my excuses :). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool. will be trying out soon

    ReplyDelete